[OSCTC-planning] OSCTC meeting report 7/30/2014

Shauna Gordon-McKeon shaunagm at gmail.com
Thu Jul 31 00:40:31 UTC 2014

We didn't talk about much of interest during today's meeting (mostly things
like "When should we have our meetings?" "How can we not lose emails?" etc)
but this seems like as good a time as any to give a status update.

1)  Fall Scheduling for Open Source Comes to Campus

I have now contacted 34 schools.  Of these, 11 are "likely" events, 13 are
"maybe" events, and 7 are "unlikely" events.  (3 are definitely not running
events, with 2 of those 3 hoping to run in Spring 2015.)  If these actually
run in a 75%/50%/25% pattern, this gives us exactly 15 events.  But I may
still contact a few more schools. (See #2, Diversity Outreach.)

Events with confirmed dates are:
- City College of San Francisco on Saturday, September 13th
- Bucknell University (PA) on Saturday, October 18th
- Hartnell College (Salinas, CA) on Saturday, November 15th

There are other probable dates, but none confirmed.  If you live near these
events and want to attend and/or get involved in organizing, let us know!
 :)

2)  Diversity Outreach

In my last meeting report, I said:

"Additionally, we will have a goal number of events to run at schools that
are majority under-represented group, for instance women's colleges,
community colleges, schools with majority black or latino populations,
schools with non-traditional students, etc.

For Fall 2014 I tentatively suggest a goal of 5 events at schools that meet
these requirements.  That represents 1/3rd of our fall events.  I hope to
increase this percentage in future semesters."

Of the 34 schools I contacted, two are community colleges, and three are
"majority minority" schools.  However, it is unlikely that all 5 schools
will actually run events (though 2 are repeats and I feel confident about
them).  So I want to do additional outreach, including to at least 1-2
women's colleges.  I have reached out to individuals for suggestions of
specific schools.  Feel free to suggest schools as well.

3)  As mentioned on list previously, I've been doing some curriculum
improvements.  You can see these threads here:
http://lists.openhatch.org/pipermail/osctc-planning/2014-July/000087.html
http://lists.openhatch.org/pipermail/osctc-planning/2014-July/000090.html

best
Shauna