[OSCTC-planning] OSCTC meeting report 7/30/2014

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Thu Jul 31 05:30:05 UTC 2014

To reply to just one part inline:

On Wed, Jul 30, 2014 at 5:40 PM, Shauna Gordon-McKeon <shaunagm at gmail.com>
wrote:

> 2)  Diversity Outreach
>
> In my last meeting report, I said:
>
> "Additionally, we will have a goal number of events to run at schools that
> are majority under-represented group, for instance women's colleges,
> community colleges, schools with majority black or latino populations,
> schools with non-traditional students, etc.
>
> For Fall 2014 I tentatively suggest a goal of 5 events at schools that
> meet these requirements.  That represents 1/3rd of our fall events.  I hope
> to increase this percentage in future semesters."
>
> Of the 34 schools I contacted, two are community colleges, and three are
> "majority minority" schools.  However, it is unlikely that all 5 schools
> will actually run events (though 2 are repeats and I feel confident about
> them).  So I want to do additional outreach, including to at least 1-2
> women's colleges.  I have reached out to individuals for suggestions of
> specific schools.  Feel free to suggest schools as well.

I have two suggestions here.

1. Katie (who did massive heavy lifting to make
http://hartnell.openhatch.org/ happen), do you have ideas for other
institutions like Hartnell that can help us reach a more diverse audience?

2. Shauna, every once in a while, I get people asking me about if I've
thought about involving various programming "bootcamps", especially
women-only ones, in the SF Bay Area. http://www.hackbrightacademy.com/ is a
sample one of those. I guess I'm curious to hear what you think about that.

>From my perspective, it's slightly divergent from "Open Source Comes to
Campus", but perhaps divergent in a good way. Perhaps it merits a
sub-project focus on it, or perhaps some of these "Programming Bootcamp"
programs would appreciate our curriculum basically as-is. Maybe we can find
1-2 to try it with, as part of growing in diversity, and see what they
think.