[OSCTC-planning] framing our tutorials

Shauna Gordon-McKeon shaunagm at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 22:39:51 UTC 2014

We've gotten a few comments that our morning tutorials, which cover IRC,
issue trackers, reading issue reports, and using version control, are a bit
abstract - they're not rooted in the process of contributing and therefore
they're less interesting and harder to learn about for students.

A little while back we made the 'Finding a Project' activity:
https://openhatch.org/wiki/Open_Source_Comes_to_Campus/Curriculum/Finding_a_Project

What do folks think about framing the morning tutorials with this activity?
 Students would start the day by finding projects, and they'd cover the
different activities - IRC, issue trackers, version control - as they came
up.

Alternatively, we could keep this where it is at the beginning of the
contributions workshop, or remove it entirely.

~ Shauna