[Campus-davis-staff] [MENTORS] planning for Saturday

Shauna Gordon-McKeon shaunagm at gmail.com
Thu May 8 14:48:27 UTC 2014

On Thu, May 8, 2014 at 4:50 AM, Britta Gustafson <brittag at gmail.com> wrote:

> I talked about this a bit with Shauna earlier today, but to have it on the
> record for the mailing list, here are my answers. :)
>

>> In order to slot mentors into specific responsibilities, I need you all
>> to answer:
>>
>> ~ Will you be available the whole day?  If not, what times will you be
>> available?
>>

> Yes, available the whole day!
>

>>  ~ Are you comfortable enough with git to lead a small group of students
>> through an activity teaching basic git skills?
>>

> I know enough about git to add changes and commit them, and I can follow
> instructions for doing more, but I probably don't know enough to be
> effective at troubleshooting if things go wrong.

We should make sure that when small groups get made, they're divided up
into groups based on previous experience.  You can then go with the
beginner group.  :)

> But yeah, I'd be up for being on the career panel if this is sufficient. :)

I think this should lead to an interesting discussion of the interaction of
open and proprietary software, so yeah, I think you should be on the career
panel.  :)

>>  ~ Do you have an open source project that you maintain or are otherwise
>> comfortable enough to lead contributions to?
>>

> Other than OpenHatch, I've contributed a little bit to OpenStreetMap, and
> I'd like to help people contribute to it if they find it an interesting
> project like I do: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Develop

Awesome, I'll put you down for that.