[Campus-davis-staff] [MENTORS] planning for Saturday

Britta Gustafson brittag at gmail.com
Thu May 8 08:50:01 UTC 2014

I talked about this a bit with Shauna earlier today, but to have it on the
record for the mailing list, here are my answers. :)

> In order to slot mentors into specific responsibilities, I need you all to
> answer:
>
> ~ Will you be available the whole day?  If not, what times will you be
> available?

Yes, available the whole day!

> ~ Are you comfortable enough with git to lead a small group of students
> through an activity teaching basic git skills?

I know enough about git to add changes and commit them, and I can follow
instructions for doing more, but I probably don't know enough to be
effective at troubleshooting if things go wrong.

> ~ Are you now or have you ever been paid to work on open source (this
> includes student internships in addition to part-time or full-time jobs or
> fellowships)?  If yes, would you be up for being on the career panel?

The product/platform I work on is partly open source and partly closed
source.

The core product (Cydia) is an app that is GPL and based on APT/dpkg, but a
lot of the "user experience" of the app comes from the non-free web pages
integrated into the app, and from the non-free closed-source payment system
that is also integrated into the app. Cydia is a marketplace where
independent companies host and distribute both open source and closed
source packages, made by independent developers & designers. (My company
makes money when they choose to sell their packages with the conveniently
integrated payment system we provide.)

To help produce these packages, these developers & designers use libraries
and tools that are developed by my company as well as other libraries/tools
developed by other people in the community. Some of the libraries/tools
that my company makes (and that other people in the community make) are
open source and some are closed source.

But since these packages and libraries are basically sets of changes for
making in-memory modifications of closed software (iOS and iOS apps), it's
somewhat unclear whether you can even legitimately declare them GPL
software.

All of this is running on a closed operating system (iOS) that has been
modified to be more open using a closed-source tool - a jailbreaking tool.
But many components of these jailbreaking tools are available as open
source code.

But yeah, I'd be up for being on the career panel if this is sufficient. :)

> ~ Do you have an open source project that you maintain or are otherwise
> comfortable enough to lead contributions to?

Other than OpenHatch, I've contributed a little bit to OpenStreetMap, and
I'd like to help people contribute to it if they find it an interesting
project like I do: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Develop

Britta