[Campus-columbia-staff] Tasks, and mentors

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Sat Oct 19 08:39:32 UTC 2013

Howdy all,

I've taken some liberties with http://tasks.openhatch.org/ , the website
that we'll be using to help students pick tasks to work on during the
afternoon projects time, where we hope to help them contribute to existing
open source projects.

In particular, I've tried to make reasonable guesses as to what sorts of
things you folks know, based on GitHub profiles etc.,

So I present to you:

http://tasks.openhatch.org/

The way students will use this is that if they decide (for example) to
work on a task in NLTK, they'll know to ask Rob Ochshorn for help.
Therefore, it's essential that you read through these tasks that you'll
supposedly be able to help students with, and know at least the basics of
how to help students get a development environment going, and know how to
reproduce the issue, even if you haven't reproduced it yourself yet.

Ivete, I've take the liberty of making you the primary point person for a
cool project called privly, which is written in Rails, but if you don't
like that idea, we can remove you from that position; just say so.

(Kat and Rob, you had some really cool personal projects, but I wanted to
emphasize simple tasks in well-documented projects for students. (Kat, I
mega love the idea of fashion trends analysis! I would personally
contribute to that, on an occasion like this.) That isn't to say you can't
try to convince students to work on your neat projects, too. Anyway, when
I say "well-documented projects" I mean projects where the development
environment setup is well-tested, and "simple tasks" meaning "items stored
in a bug tracker or other easily visible task list".)

I might try to add a handful more of these during the morning tomorrow. If
I do that, I'll email this list saying so.

-- Asheesh.