[Campus-columbia-staff] logistics for open source event

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Sat Mar 30 19:14:37 UTC 2013

On Sat, 30 Mar 2013, Kathy Sun wrote:

> Hello Shauna!
> Sorry for the slow reply. The rooming situation was in limbo and I wanted to meet with the board to
> make sure we'd fully explored our options before replying.
>
> It doesn't look like we can host the event this semester. Botnick
> Laboratory isn't being cooperative and we don't have other suitable
> spaces on hand. The event sounded incredible and there was lots of
> excitement on the board about it. Open source software is definitely
> something that many people in the CS department think that students
> should better exposed too -- I'll be graduating but Dina (the other
> contact person) as well as Melanie will still be on the WiCS board. If
> you'd be interesting in running this event next semester, you should
> definitely contact them!
>
> As mentioned before, space is always the limiting factor at Columbia.
> Lerner has an option to pre-book rooms at the first couple weeks at the
> beginning of the semester where clubs that want to host large or
> recurring events can book rooms for the rest the year. That's why there
> was absolutely nothing available in Lerner for the kind of time needed
> for this event. If you'd be interested in hosting this event next
> semester, it might be a good option to pre-book a room in Lerner.
>
> I hope you understand!

If we can hold it at 10gen's headquarters, would people attend?

We can probably swing that or other corporate space. I've been disinclined
to ask because I thought it might decrease atttendance, but I'm curious if
Columbia students maybe don't mind a quick trip on the subway.

If they don't, I will go ask around for external-to-Columbia space!

-- Asheesh.