[Campus-columbia-staff] logistics for open source event

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Tue Apr 2 03:02:32 UTC 2013

Hi Jeffrey!

I'm working with Columbia Women in CS to possibly organize a 30-ish person
event, with lecture and hands-on exercises performed by attendees on their
own laptops and food, to help introduce students hands-on to the world of
open source and teach how they can become more aware and involved.

Jonah Bossewitch sent me your way, to see if the Science and Engineering
Library might be able to help out with space, which is the current
limiting factor.

It's part of this event series -- http://campus.openhatch.org/ -- if that
helps you get a sense of it! In general, the structure is:

* Morning: Lecture and exercises

* Noon or so: Lunch (if necessary, we can do this out of the main room of
the event, though I'd much prefer to at least have snacks available in the
main room)

* Afternoon: Projects time, where we help students make contributions to
real open source projects through bug triage, submitting patches,
improving documentation, writing up their experiences as newcomers, and
more.

We're shopping around for Saturdays or Sundays in April, at this rate
either Sat Apr 20 or Sun Apr 21, that might have space available (and are
good fits for our student contacts within Columbia Women in CS).

Do you think there might be space somewhere in the Science and Engineering
Library or some affiliated area that you can help the club use to host
such an event?

Thanks!

-- Asheesh.