[WFS-India] Suggestion for re-modelling of the mailing list rules

A. Mani a.mani.cms at gmail.com
Fri Jun 21 17:29:39 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 10:09 PM, Kaustav Das Modak
<kaustav at codebinders.com> wrote:
> At present, it reads:
>
> <quote>
>
> WFS-india is a voluntary organization of some enthusiastic people wanting to
> see some gender parity in FOSS world. If you are enthusiastic about FOSS and
> sometimes/always wondering why there are so few women in India
> contributing/working in FOSS, please do join. People would love to hear your
> ideas and suggestions to include more women in FOSS.
>
> If you are a woman and think that women in software should come together to
> address the common issues faced by them, please do join.
>
> </unquote>
>

> The agenda of the first meeting at #wfs-india as described on the
> TechChicBlog page reads:
>
> <quote>
>

>    - why and if at all do we need a group to promote FOSS among women in
> India,
>
>    - how we can improve networking among women in software in India,
>
>    - how we can unite to address common issues faced by women in technology
> in India,
>
>    - how we can help each other to build skills, expertise and grow
> professionally and personally
>
>    - if we can organize an event (something on the line of adacamp – (I
> really love the idea)) in India.
>
>    - anything that you wish to bring up to help the cause.
>

> </unquote>
>

> Though these write-ups constitute the initial ideas behind this group, they
> are not complete and do not in any way represent the mission and goals of
> this group in totality. I believe so because they have not been vouched for
> or have been voted upon, and have not been formed into a MoU or
> Constitution. So using them to justify your views on behalf of the whole
> group does not make any sense to me at least; excuse me for being blunt
> here.

Well, you are saying the FOSS world should operate differently and
that you write things that you may not be believing in.
Did anybody object to that write-up?

> Your experience in FOSS groups and other form of activisms is surely way
> more than mine, however, I fail to see to why you are been putting up your
> views with a timeout in every case. If no one responds within a stipulated
> time frame that you set, you take that as unanimous decision. Most members
> of this group are either full time professionals or students and they may
> usually take time to respond to certain views and concerns raised by you.
> Please wait for everyone's response, or at least a majority response before
> flagging your view as the choice of others.

OK, waiting .... forever.

> Also, I fail to see how your experience and your radical views are doing
> anything progressive in terms of encouraging new members, or even to
> organize a public outreach that takes the word of FOSS out to uninitiated. I
> haven't, for example, seen any feedback from the Git workshop participants
> on the list, though at least 3 or 4 of them had joined the list after the
> workshop. Maybe they are finding this atmosphere too toxic to even put in a
> "Hello World!"?

People take time to assimilate ideas.
Be patient.

> I would agree with them. I am going to resume my post as the maintainer of
> the website, maybe for another six months. I'm afraid my skills will be of
> no more use in a radical atmosphere which constantly urges people to stick
> to feudal style stringent rules and regulations. Maybe I am not cut out for
> this.

I have relatively 'radical' views?
Some others have backward views is a better formulation.

wfs-india appears to be a somewhat human group. At least that is what
our website suggests.
Our mailing lists involve debates.
Often, I admit others are not able to reason about the points I raise.
We need more qualified feminists in our group.

Some like IDG are dogmatic about how things should happen and are
quite intemperate.

'Radical views' do not hinder newbie interaction, but intemperate behavior can.

Where is this "feudal style stringent rules " coming from? ... I never
imposed any.
The original mailing list rules is pretty standard.
We have improved it for our purposes.

Be happy.

> Maybe, I'm wrong and others here might be nodding in assent to your views
> and concerns. Maybe the silence is really an acknowledgement of your
> commitment. In that case, I really do stress that our views differ.

For all the concerns that you have raised, the solution is simple.
We proceed in a modular way with few committed people handling the
respective module.
How many words did I offer for the Git workshop?

Best

A. Mani

--
A. Mani