[WFS-India] Suggestion for re-modelling of the mailing list rules

Kaustav Das Modak kaustav at codebinders.com
Fri Jun 21 16:39:15 UTC 2013

On Friday 21 June 2013 09:15 PM, A. Mani wrote:

>> I haven't found any document on the mission and goal of this group. Was it
>> on the old website? If yes, can you please provide me the link? It needs to
>> be uploaded on the new website as well.
>>
>> Without a mission and goals document, it gets pretty tough to follow them.
>

> There are few lines in the front page of our website.
> I read them :)

[Long response alert]

I had put together those lines from
https://techchicblog.wordpress.com/2013/04/27/irc-planning-meeting-to-promote-foss-among-women-in-india/.
Even if it makes sense to someone, please note that I had put it their
as a *placeholder* till someone else comes up with a better suggestion.

At present, it reads:

<quote>

WFS-india is a voluntary organization of some enthusiastic people
wanting to see some gender parity in FOSS world. If you are enthusiastic
about FOSS and sometimes/always wondering why there are so few women in
India contributing/working in FOSS, please do join. People would love to
hear your ideas and suggestions to include more women in FOSS.

If you are a woman and think that women in software should come together
to address the common issues faced by them, please do join.

</unquote>

The agenda of the first meeting at #wfs-india as described on the
TechChicBlog page reads:

<quote>

    - why and if at all do we need a group to promote FOSS among women
in India,

    - how we can improve networking among women in software in India,

    - how we can unite to address common issues faced by women in
technology in India,

    - how we can help each other to build skills, expertise and grow
professionally and personally

    - if we can organize an event (something on the line of adacamp – (I
really love the idea)) in India.

    - anything that you wish to bring up to help the cause.

</unquote>

Though these write-ups constitute the initial ideas behind this group,
they are not complete and do not in any way represent the mission and
goals of this group in totality. I believe so because they have not been
vouched for or have been voted upon, and have not been formed into a MoU
or Constitution. So using them to justify your views on behalf of the
whole group does not make any sense to me at least; excuse me for being
blunt here.

However, even in these write-ups, I find three crucial points:

  a. The urge to introduce more women in India to FOSS, by guiding them
through the initial ice-breaking.

  b. The stress on reaching out through public activities, like
organizing events

  c. Asking people to put in their ideas and suggestions for any
possible improvement.

Your experience in FOSS groups and other form of activisms is surely way
more than mine, however, I fail to see to why you are been putting up
your views with a timeout in every case. If no one responds within a
stipulated time frame that you set, you take that as unanimous decision.
Most members of this group are either full time professionals or
students and they may usually take time to respond to certain views and
concerns raised by you. Please wait for everyone's response, or at least
a majority response before flagging your view as the choice of others.

Also, I fail to see how your experience and your radical views are doing
anything progressive in terms of encouraging new members, or even to
organize a public outreach that takes the word of FOSS out to
uninitiated. I haven't, for example, seen any feedback from the Git
workshop participants on the list, though at least 3 or 4 of them had
joined the list after the workshop. Maybe they are finding this
atmosphere too toxic to even put in a "Hello World!"?

I would agree with them. I am going to resume my post as the maintainer
of the website, maybe for another six months. I'm afraid my skills will
be of no more use in a radical atmosphere which constantly urges people
to stick to feudal style stringent rules and regulations. Maybe I am not
cut out for this.

Maybe, I'm wrong and others here might be nodding in assent to your
views and concerns. Maybe the silence is really an acknowledgement of
your commitment. In that case, I really do stress that our views differ.

With all due respect,

End of a really long reply.

--
Kaustav Das Modak