[WFS-India] Suggestion for re-modelling of the mailing list rules

Kaustav Das Modak kaustav at codebinders.com
Thu Jun 20 12:56:44 UTC 2013

On Thursday 20 June 2013 05:15 PM, Indranil Das Gupta wrote:

 > that Kaustav helped along hugely with his edits, inputs and
 > suggestions.

Thanks! I did what I could.

> I've deep personal reservations about the above. Women in general in
> India are tutored from their girlhood to be polite, to be subservient,
> to obey the authority (usually male). The words "Be polite. Don't get
> personal. Don't use unacceptable language" left AS-IS is likely to
> trigger a Pavlovian response of classical conditioning where the women
> may withdraw from pro-activeness or an equally opposite obdurate
> counter knee-jerk reaction. Personally I've seen that if I ask my wife
> not to do something, without explaining the rationale behind, she
> will, on purpose, do exactly the opposite :-D

+1

> FOSS people and NON-FOSS people - that IMHO smacks of 'us' vs 'them'
> syndrome. If FOSS is to be way of life or at least provide a positive
> choice for people, such segregation while in the early stages may draw
> in people, is likely to drive a chasm between and splinter the group
> in later days. In that I agree with Mani's stand, just not her way or
> approach to it.

Agree. Existing contributors need to be careful about not alienating
people who are trying to adopt FOSS by using the "us" vs "them"
approach. The first step in welcoming new members is to stop any
exclusionary methods and start being more inclusive. Show them that
given the right tools and guidance, they can build up a system that can
be customized to their own needs.

Thanks.

--
Kaustav Das Modak,