[WFS-India] Suggestion for re-modelling of the mailing list rules

Indranil Das Gupta indradg at gmail.com
Thu Jun 20 11:45:33 UTC 2013

Hi all,

On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 4:06 PM, Debamitro Chakraborti
<debamitro at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think 3 rules out of the page are enough:

Have a look at the current scheme of things at
https://wfs-india.etherpad.mozilla.org/ep/pad/view/9/Dyfc9GVqBb (see
under Version 1)

that Kaustav helped along hugely with his edits, inputs and
suggestions.

@Mani thank you for the initial effort in putting it up in the
etherpad. It is always useful to have a skeleton to work on rather
than from the scratch.

> Be polite. Don't get personal. Don't use unacceptable language. Respect
> other people's freedom of choice of distributions/editors/e-mail

I've deep personal reservations about the above. Women in general in
India are tutored from their girlhood to be polite, to be subservient,
to obey the authority (usually male). The words "Be polite. Don't get
personal. Don't use unacceptable language" left AS-IS is likely to
trigger a Pavlovian response of classical conditioning where the women
may withdraw from pro-activeness or an equally opposite obdurate
counter knee-jerk reaction. Personally I've seen that if I ask my wife
not to do something, without explaining the rationale behind, she
will, on purpose, do exactly the opposite :-D

> IMO the rest are serving no purpose but confusing _normal_ i.e., non-FOSS
> people. If you agree, please +1 and we can go ahead with these and remove
> the rest of the page for further discussions inside the group.

FOSS people and NON-FOSS people - that IMHO smacks of 'us' vs 'them'
syndrome. If FOSS is to be way of life or at least provide a positive
choice for people, such segregation while in the early stages may draw
in people, is likely to drive a chasm between and splinter the group
in later days. In that I agree with Mani's stand, just not her way or
approach to it.

@all  Do read the draft and see if it is still too techie and newbie
unfriendly - https://wfs-india.etherpad.mozilla.org/ep/pad/view/9/Dyfc9GVqBb

> For our group it is much better to show a simple non-confusing face instead
> of a terribly correct but totally confusing face. We should simplify and
> friendlify (if there is such a word) our site ASAP else we stand to be
> continuously mis-identified.

+ 100

cheers
-idg

--
Indranil Das Gupta

Phone : +91-98300-20971
Blog    : http://indradg.randomink.org/blog
IRC      : indradg on irc://irc.freenode.net
Twitter : indradg