[WFS-India] git workshop write-up

Debamitro Chakraborti debamitro at gmail.com
Mon Jun 10 18:03:14 UTC 2013

Seeing no activity today, I prepared a tiny write-up for the workshop page
on the site (saved in https://wfs-india.etherpad.mozilla.org/8 )--

Write-up for the workshop:*
Git is, technically speaking, the most advanced version control system on
earth right now.
However this does not itself justify why everybody should learn it. The
real value of git is that it has taken collaboration to a new level. Just
like social media has made friendship cross barriers of space, git has
helped developers work together across continents. Git is the backbone of
developers working on huge projects like the Linux kernel. Git is also the
choice of countless designers and can be used by visual artists and authors
as well. Embrace the future by getting a taste of git
Pre-requisites:
Install git from msysgit.github.io (for Windows) or Software Centre in
Ubuntu
Ping anybody on #wfs-india to solve installation issues prior to the actual
workshop

Feel free to modify it on the pad. I'll put it up on the site tomorrow.
Also, I can volunteer for solving git issues on Windows since I think I
have the longest Windows experience among the group here. I installed
msysgit and it seems to work fine -- it is just _slow_, which is the
hallmark of Windows anyway.

--
http://about.me/debamitro
*don't polish your ignorance, it will shine*<http://www.ishafoundation.org/>