[WFS-India] git workshop write-up

Kaustav Das Modak kaustav at codebinders.com
Tue Jun 11 05:45:40 UTC 2013

On Monday 10 June 2013 11:33 PM, Debamitro Chakraborti wrote:
> Seeing no activity today, I prepared a tiny write-up for the workshop
> page on the site (saved in https://wfs-india.etherpad.mozilla.org/8 )--
>
> ********************************************************************_
> Write-up for the workshop:_
> Git is, technically speaking, the most advanced version control system
> on earth right now.
> However this does not itself justify why everybody should learn it. The
> real value of git is that it has taken collaboration to a new level.
> Just like social media has made friendship cross barriers of space, git
> has helped developers work together across continents. Git is the
> backbone of developers working on huge projects like the Linux kernel.
> Git is also the choice of countless designers and can be used by visual
> artists and authors as well. Embrace the future by getting a taste of git
> Pre-requisites:
> Install git from msysgit.github.io <http://msysgit.github.io> (for
> Windows) or Software Centre in Ubuntu
> Ping anybody on #wfs-india to solve installation issues prior to the
> actual workshop

Excellent write-up! Great for raising that wee bit of curiousity in
newcomers! We need to improve the installation and configuration part.
Also as Joyoti has suggested in her feedback, it will be useful if we
link to/host a git cheat sheet.

> Feel free to modify it on the pad. I'll put it up on the site tomorrow.
> Also, I can volunteer for solving git issues on Windows since I think I
> have the longest Windows experience among the group here. I installed
> msysgit and it seems to work fine -- it is just _slow_, which is the
> hallmark of Windows anyway.

I am not sure why I have never faced speed issues with msysgit. Though
it never equals git on the *real* bash. Great to have another fellow
mentor who has watched the meadows for long through the Windows.

--
Kaustav Das Modak,
Partner,