[pydata-outreach-staff] Clarifying the "workshop & sprint"

Vid svaksha at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 05:25:09 UTC 2012

On Sun, Dec 9, 2012 at 5:11 PM, Asheesh Laroia <asheesh at asheesh.org> wrote:
> I had one other question about the "sprint" time.
>
> Given that the Github page writes, '''The afternoon sprint will be "free
> form" and people who come can work on whatever they'd like.'''...
>
> Which of the following is consistent with our expectations at the moment,
> for people to be doing between 3 PM and 5:15 PM?
>
> (I'm not trying to change the answer; I'm just trying to make sure I
> understand what the current plan is, since I had a little difficulty getting
> a solid sense from the current text.)
>
> (1) People quietly hacking on Pandas, submitting pull requests and getting
> help from Chang She as needed;

Yes.

> (2) People hacking on other PyData projects, like working on NumPy bugs;

It would be nicer if people stick to PAndas as the core-dev just
agreed to spend his weekend Sunday so that you could be boot-strapped
as a future Pandas contributor ;)

> (3) People hacking on their own personal projects that use Pandas, asking
> Chang She or other attendees to help as needed;
>
> (4) People hacking on their own personal projects that are in Python, but
> aren't particularly NumPy/PyData/Pandas-related.

You got that right. Definite No for #3 and #4. I thought it was quite
obvious but let me know if I should clear this on the wiki page too. I
am happy to explain why here: Firstly, Chang and Wes (and almost ALL
the core-devs of all the PyData packages do this for a living - read,
they teach people how to use Pydata packages like Pandas (or scipy, or
numpy), hold paid-for workshops, do consultation for companies and
suchlike. I do not wish this workshop-sprint to misrepresent or be a
conflict of interest in any sense of the term. Personally speaking, I
think it is unethical to allow people to take advantage of their
generosity in doing a workshop, giving up a holiday weekend just so we
can learn.

> It seems to me that (1) and (2) are intended to be on-topic, and (3) and (4)
> aren't; is that right?

> Sorry to ask everything to be spelled out for me; I just want to be sure I
> am consistent with the goals of the event.

Oh, All questions are more than welcome :)
--
Regards,
Vid  ॥ http://svaksha.com