[OH-Publicity] New blog post about PyCon Sprints

Asheesh Laroia lists at asheesh.org
Thu Mar 29 03:03:41 UTC 2012

Excerpts from Greg Grossmeier's message of Wed Mar 28 22:26:01 -0400 2012:
> Hiya!
>
> Asheesh asked me to take his nicely written email on the PyCon
> sprints[0] and turn it into a blog post for the OH blog. I just did!
>
> I have a draft on htmlpad where you can make edits (in html)[1] and see the
> changes easily[2].

Yaaay! Glad you gave this a shot (-:

I have some feedback, but first I want to say: congratulations on your
soon-to-be first post, and thank you for joining the growing Publicity
team. Publicity is definitely something we need more of.

* Tone down the "!"s. You have, like, 30% too many of them. I know
  you're excited about how awesome we are, but YOW it's a LOT!!! (: (:

  The final three sentences all end in "!", and that's kind of a lot. (-:

* Suggestion: Introduce yourself at the start as a "New member of the
  OpenHatch publicity team", and maybe give a quick link to your
  personal home page or Ubuntu wiki page or something like that.

  e.g. (This is <a href="http://grossmeier.net/">Greg Grossmeier</a>
  writing, new member of the OpenHatch publicity team. This is my first post!)

  That way people know how awesome *you* are (and it also explains to
  readers the speakers' voice, in case you write "I").

* typo: specificaly => specifically

  I want you to fix that so you remember to proofread in the future (-:

* The post title: "OH PyCon" doesn't get a specific message across. Is
  the post about the sprint specifically, or about our presence at
  PyCon in general? I'd say make it focused on the sprints; in that case,
  I think it's nice to find some surprising or pleasing summary and
  make that be the title. Maybe "Ten contributors hacked on OpenHatch
  during PyCon sprints". That's my suggestion!

* Sprint -- is this word singular or plural? You use both; I'd say PyCon
  hosts sprints (plural) and ours was one (singular), so you'd probably
  want to stick to singular in the post.

* Voice -- in one bullet point, an "I" hadn't been changed to "Asheesh".
  I just did that.

* Video -- I wrote, "I don't know where the video is". Can you see if you
  can find it? It's probably in NextDayVideo's youtube account, and/or
  maybe on pyvideo.org.

> Please take a look at it and make sure it makes sense and I didn't
> change Asheesh's wording incorrectly. Hope to post it by Friday :)

Okay (-:

I posted the above mostly for people down the road who want some kind
of blog post checklist.

I'm happy to be interactive and real-time edit with you on IRC, too.

Again -- thank you! I'm looking forward to when your post is live!

Full of ! marks anyway!!!, (-: