[OH-Publicity] New blog post about PyCon Sprints

Greg Grossmeier greg at grossmeier.net
Thu Mar 29 16:17:38 UTC 2012

<quote name="Asheesh Laroia" date="2012-03-28" time="23:03:41 -0400">
> I have some feedback, but first I want to say: congratulations on your
> soon-to-be first post, and thank you for joining the growing Publicity
> team. Publicity is definitely something we need more of.

:) Thanks.

> * Tone down the "!"s. You have, like, 30% too many of them. I know
>   you're excited about how awesome we are, but YOW it's a LOT!!! (: (:
>
>   The final three sentences all end in "!", and that's kind of a lot. (-:

OK!!!

> * Suggestion: Introduce yourself at the start as a "New member of the
>   OpenHatch publicity team", and maybe give a quick link to your
>   personal home page or Ubuntu wiki page or something like that.
>
>   e.g. (This is <a href="http://grossmeier.net/">Greg Grossmeier</a>
>   writing, new member of the OpenHatch publicity team. This is my first post!)
>
>   That way people know how awesome *you* are (and it also explains to
>   readers the speakers' voice, in case you write "I").

Good point. I don't want to just come out of no where.

> * typo: specificaly => specifically
>
>   I want you to fix that so you remember to proofread in the future (-:

Yeah, not sure why Fx's built in spell checker wasn't working on
htmlpad. Oh right, because htmlpad isn't working in Fx Nightly and I
used Chromium. :/  Good catch.

> * The post title: "OH PyCon" doesn't get a specific message across. Is
>   the post about the sprint specifically, or about our presence at
>   PyCon in general? I'd say make it focused on the sprints; in that case,
>   I think it's nice to find some surprising or pleasing summary and
>   make that be the title. Maybe "Ten contributors hacked on OpenHatch
>   during PyCon sprints". That's my suggestion!

Yeah, lame temporary title was lame and temporary.

> * Sprint -- is this word singular or plural? You use both; I'd say PyCon
>   hosts sprints (plural) and ours was one (singular), so you'd probably
>   want to stick to singular in the post.

Are you an editor? :) You're right.

> * Voice -- in one bullet point, an "I" hadn't been changed to "Asheesh".
>   I just did that.

Thanks.

> * Video -- I wrote, "I don't know where the video is". Can you see if you
>   can find it? It's probably in NextDayVideo's youtube account, and/or
>   maybe on pyvideo.org.

Will do.

> I'm happy to be interactive and real-time edit with you on IRC, too.

Cool, maybe next time. Last night this was the last thing I did before
jumping in bed to hold Rowan to sleep.

> Again -- thank you! I'm looking forward to when your post is live!

You're welcome and me too!

> Full of ! marks anyway!!!, (-:

Greg