[OH-Publicity] Talks for SCALE

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Tue Dec 4 21:41:39 UTC 2012

Hello, publicity peeps,

Are any of you submitting talks to SCALE, the Southern California Linux
Expo? It's February 22-24, 2013 near the LAX airport.

Deb Nicholson says this is one of her favorite conferences, as I recall,
so that's a pretty positive review! I myself went in 2011, and was amazed
at how many attendees they draw. I did feel like some of the conference
talks that I saw could have been better-organized and more well-prepared,
so I think that OpenHatch people could compete very well for talk slots.

I'm also happy to offer to any of y'all to propose and a talk and I'll be
happy to review the abstract, or the full outline, or help you with
preparing the talk itself. The other thing I noticed was that it was more
enthusiasts and sysadmins than programmers, which I found an interesting
contrast to (e.g.) Debconf and PyCon, which are my two major reference
points.

https://www.socallinuxexpo.org/cfp indicates that the deadline is 10
December, so we all have a bit of time.

For OpenHatch fame benefits, I thought I'd submit a slightly rephrased
version of my linux.conf.au talk proposal there, which is about
quantitative community management, which really means I summarize a bunch
of surveys that have gone out.

http://rose.makesad.us/~paulproteus/tmp/scale-mirror/Quantitative%20community%20management%20%20%20SCALE%2011x.html
is a link to my proposal as it stands now.

(I also submitted a different, more technical talk:
http://rose.makesad.us/~paulproteus/tmp/scale-mirror/Tunnel%20your%20way%20out%20of%20any%20network%20%20%20SCALE%2011x.html
)

Curious if any of you are interested in going!

Oh -- the other thing I did with Deb in 2011 was hand out flyers about
OpenHatch, and I got to chat with a user of the site and get some feedback
from her. So that was pretty fun! Oh, and I met Mark Holmquist there! (-: