[pedagogy] A term for "teaching community"?

Alex Gaynor alex.gaynor at gmail.com
Fri Apr 12 15:17:51 UTC 2013

I'm not sure this directly answers your question, but
https://speakerdeck.com/alex/open-source-and-education is a slide deck I
delivered ~3 years ago that touches on a lot of these same topics. Broadly
I think both groups have a lot they can learn from each other, open source
projects are organically finding, developing, and tailoring to our usecase
a lot of known pedagogical strategies, but there's still a lot of known
research we aren't taking advantage of. The flip side is open source
communities are working with a pretty interesting set of constraints that
(to my knowledge), don't have a lot of specific research: newcomers are of
unknown (and a wide range!) of skill levels, we assume no in-person
contact, time to engage is extremely volatile, etc.

Alex

On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 7:30 AM, Selena Deckelmann <selena at chesnok.com>wrote:

> Hi!
>
> So, is there a term for the idea of a "teaching community"? (other than
> that) I have this feeling that I'm missing literature about what is
> happening in the tech community around education and teaching because I
> don't have a term for it.
>
> The emphasis is on teaching "at scale" and maximizing positive experiences
> for beginners. This wasn't really a concern to the FOSS learning
> communities, so it feels appropriate to name it separately, even if it's an
> evolutionary kind of thing.
>
> BACKGROUND
> I was thinking this morning about learning communities. FOSS communities
> are learning communities. We've all become very interested in programmer
> education -- first because we couldn't hire people fast enough, and now
> because there's a greater awareness of diversity problems and a tacit
> agreement that education is a way to correct some of the root causes of
> that.
>
> And now we've got this surge in interest in leveling up on the ability to
> teach and access to the people that we want to teach. The reasons are
> varied: diversity, advocacy, career advancement, standardization,
> recruitment/hiring, social justice...
>
> A short list of the programs and resources out there for "teaching
> technical literacy" for young people (and most involve programming)
> include:
>
> Black Girls Code, Bootstrap, Bootstrap World, Citizen Schools, Code Racer,
> Code Ramp, Code School, Code.org, Codecademy, CodeEd.org, CodeHS, CodeNow,
> CoderDojo, Computer Clubhouse, Don't Fear the Internet, EnstituteU,
> Exposure Camp, Girl Develop It, Girls Who Code, Hackety Hack, HBCU Hacks (a
> program of Black Founders), Khan Academy, Lego League, Logo Summer
> Institute, MinecraftEdu, NFTE - NYC Generation Tech Program (partnership
> with EDC), NYC Tech Sector Scratch Day (a.k.a. "5 Boro Scratch Day"),
> Program by Design, Scratch, ScriptEd, Skillcrush, Sky's The Limit,
> StartupBox Bronx, Summer Qamp, TEALS, Technology and kids, Technovation
> (Iridescent Learning), Treehouse, Udacity
>
> And then a list (without all the many locations) of in-person schools and
> programs for beginner adults I know about are:
>
> Portland Code School, Catalyst, Hacker School, Dev Bootcamp, Hackbright
> Academy, The Starter League, App Academy, PyLadies, Boston Python Workshop,
> Railsbridge, PyStar, Geek Girl Camps, Ada Camp, Grace Hopper Celebration of
> Women in Computing
>
> Resources I missed? Other thoughts?
>
> -selena
>
> --
> http://chesnok.com

GPG Key fingerprint: 125F 5C67 DFE9 4084