[pedagogy] A term for "teaching community"?

Selena Deckelmann selena at chesnok.com
Fri Apr 12 14:30:12 UTC 2013

Hi!

So, is there a term for the idea of a "teaching community"? (other than
that) I have this feeling that I'm missing literature about what is
happening in the tech community around education and teaching because I
don't have a term for it.

The emphasis is on teaching "at scale" and maximizing positive experiences
for beginners. This wasn't really a concern to the FOSS learning
communities, so it feels appropriate to name it separately, even if it's an
evolutionary kind of thing.

BACKGROUND
I was thinking this morning about learning communities. FOSS communities
are learning communities. We've all become very interested in programmer
education -- first because we couldn't hire people fast enough, and now
because there's a greater awareness of diversity problems and a tacit
agreement that education is a way to correct some of the root causes of
that.

And now we've got this surge in interest in leveling up on the ability to
teach and access to the people that we want to teach. The reasons are
varied: diversity, advocacy, career advancement, standardization,
recruitment/hiring, social justice...

A short list of the programs and resources out there for "teaching
technical literacy" for young people (and most involve programming)
include:

Black Girls Code, Bootstrap, Bootstrap World, Citizen Schools, Code Racer,
Code Ramp, Code School, Code.org, Codecademy, CodeEd.org, CodeHS, CodeNow,
CoderDojo, Computer Clubhouse, Don't Fear the Internet, EnstituteU,
Exposure Camp, Girl Develop It, Girls Who Code, Hackety Hack, HBCU Hacks (a
program of Black Founders), Khan Academy, Lego League, Logo Summer
Institute, MinecraftEdu, NFTE - NYC Generation Tech Program (partnership
with EDC), NYC Tech Sector Scratch Day (a.k.a. "5 Boro Scratch Day"),
Program by Design, Scratch, ScriptEd, Skillcrush, Sky's The Limit,
StartupBox Bronx, Summer Qamp, TEALS, Technology and kids, Technovation
(Iridescent Learning), Treehouse, Udacity

And then a list (without all the many locations) of in-person schools and
programs for beginner adults I know about are:

Portland Code School, Catalyst, Hacker School, Dev Bootcamp, Hackbright
Academy, The Starter League, App Academy, PyLadies, Boston Python Workshop,
Railsbridge, PyStar, Geek Girl Camps, Ada Camp, Grace Hopper Celebration of
Women in Computing

Resources I missed? Other thoughts?

-selena

--