[Pdxpw-staff] notes on editor choice

Barbara Shaurette barbara.shaurette at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 18:53:20 UTC 2012

It's a real shame we can't just use vi - it would give new users a
taste of working from the command line, and it's so simple, does only
what you need for writing code and nothing more.  But I agree, it's
outside the scope of teaching an intro to Python.

I do like Sublime Text 2, but I've had problems with a memory leak and
excessive CPU usage if I leave it open and idle for too long.  I don't
think that was fixed in their June release, but I've seen it mentioned
a few times on their forums.  Maybe that's not an issue for the short
amount of time we'd be using it in a tutorial setting, though?  (Fwiw,
I've been using TextWrangler more and more lately - it is, however,
only available for OS X).