[Pdxpw-staff] notes on editor choice

Amy K. Farrell amykfarrell at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 19:11:34 UTC 2012

I don't have an opinion about any of these editors on their merits, as
the only ones (on Kevin's list) that I've used are emacs and vi[m]. I
agree that they aren't good choices for this purpose.

I did notice that Sublime Text 2 for Mac OS X requires OS X 10.6 or
10.7. We did have some students with older versions of Mac OS X, didn't
we? I don't think that's necessarily a strike against it; just something
to be aware of. We might list "supported configurations" (primarily OS
and version) for the class and encourage people to contact us if they
have something different.

I like the idea of getting a "site license" for classes, even though the
evaluation license would probably suffice. I doubt that such a license
would cover users once they left the class (maybe it would be
time-limited?), but the single-user license fee doesn't strike me as
unreasonable for someone who gets into programming and decides she
really likes the editor.

 - Amy