[OSCTC-planning] Status of new Open Source Comes to Campus website

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Tue Dec 24 22:30:34 UTC 2013

On Tue, 24 Dec 2013, Asheesh Laroia wrote:

> I just had a chat with Shauna on IRC for a few hours, and wanted to summarize
> here to y'all.
>
> We're making a cooler-looking and more useful website for Open Source Comes
> to Campus.
>

> Current overall strategy for website: Create something with a short URL,
> probably campus.openhatch.org, whose primary goal is to serve as an index
> confirming for possible local organizers that we will support them
> effectively as they run an event, and whose secondary goal is to be a
> resource we can point prospective organizers to.
>
> Current status: We have a draft, and a plan.
>
> Draft: https://github.com/openhatch/osctc-demo
>
> Preview: http://linode.openhatch.org/~paulproteus/osctc-demo/ (just a demo!
> don't share widely yet)
>

> Plan:
>
> https://github.com/openhatch/osctc-demo/issues?milestone=&page=1&state=open
>

> Timeline:
>
> * By hopefully Dec 27, and hopefully Jan 2, we want the site to be ready for
> public view.
>
> * After that, we can do nice-to-have items.
>

> To emphasize that, I've created "milestones" and moved issues into them:
>
> https://github.com/openhatch/osctc-demo/issues/milestones
>
> I've set "Version 0.9" and "Version 1.0" as due Jan 2.
>

> What this means for other pages:
>
> * https://openhatch.org/wiki/Open_Source_Comes_to_Campus/In_a_Box -- this
> page will probably become a HTTP redirect to the new URL
>
> * http://campus.openhatch.org/ -- this URL will probably host the new page,
> thereby enabling us to remove the content at campus.openhatch.org

Oh one other note -- we lifted this design from the amazing Jacob Cook at
arkos.io.

We plan to write fresh HTML so we're no longer a without-permission
derivative. I do want to say thanks to Jacob for making such a great and
apologies for me lifting it without very clear credit here! I needed to
start somewhere; might as well copy something great.

-- Asheesh.