[Events] Strategies for getting information from venue hosts

Shauna Gordon-McKeon shaunagm at gmail.com
Thu Nov 21 18:17:29 UTC 2013

Briefly (I'm on a bus and typing on my phone) I'd recommend:

- making sure you have more than one host-organizer, so that if one gets
flaky you can contact another
- identifying what space requirements are vital and securing a space with
those characteristics before committing or doing any other planning (this
rule was developed after having to cancel/postpone multiple events last
spring)
- being super responsive and approachable to your hosts, which develops a
culture/expectation of quick, clear communication
- if you can, assessing initial communications for social/emotional cues
indicating enthusiasm and conscientiousness

I'd rank those 2 > 1 > 3 > 4 in terms of importance.  Hope this helps!

- shauna