[Events] Strategies for getting information from venue hosts

sheila miguez shekay at pobox.com
Thu Nov 21 18:00:53 UTC 2013

Hi everyone, I've cc-d Carl.

Carl has been talking to me offlist wondering what practices people have
followed to make it more likely to get helpful information from venues.

After someone has agreed to be a host for our group, they aren't always
responsive when we have questions similar to the ones in checklist for
events like OSCTC.

https://openhatch.org/wiki/OSCTC_space_checklist

Carl started this page, and I've added to it recently to try and help get
things running more smoothly.

http://www.chipy.org/pages/venue/requirements/

We've thought of proposing to our user group that we turn that in to a form
for prospective hosts to fill out before we agree to hold a meeting there,
but that may or may not be something that passes consensus.

Do any of you have suggestions? The UIC event I went to seemed to have
friendly hosts. I told Carl perhaps that it would just require a lot of
assertive emails and phone calls -- and he was wondering if he has to
resort to a daily email or call or if there is some better way to encourage
communication.

The lack of communication has led to some snags in the past -- like not
enough seating for people, no projector or screens for presentors, etc.

--
sheila