[OH-Dev] [issue1028] Adjust our "twill tests" to either use Django's test client directly, or use django-webtest

Asheesh Laroia bugs at openhatch.org
Mon Aug 4 02:13:37 UTC 2014

New submission from Asheesh Laroia <asheesh at asheesh.org>:

Right now, we use Twill, a mini fake Python web browser, for some of our tests.
This is convenient, but has some downsides:

* twill is seemingly unmaintained.

* This is a pretty non-standard thing to do. Therefore, we're likely to run into
issues that other projects don't run into. (For example, it seems that maybe our
Twill<->Django integration stopped working, as of Django 1.5? Not sure.)

We use Twill for its browser-like conveniences -- specifically, in the tests, we
can use a very simple API for filling out web forms and submitting them.
Luckily, django-webtest <https://github.com/kmike/django-webtest> also provides
a very clean API that seems to be as expressive as the Twill one.

It'd be great to see someone take this on as a backend refactoring task. I'd be
very happy to help mentor someone, if they want to do, and could remote pair-
program to some extent on this, too.