[OH-Dev] [issue752] WordPress theme is out-of-date compared to main site

Asheesh Laroia bugs at openhatch.org
Sun Jul 29 21:03:48 UTC 2012

New submission from Asheesh Laroia <asheesh at asheesh.org>:

The WordPress theme looks reasonably okay, but right now it's out-of-date with
regard to the main site. In particular, the footer at the bottom isn't in sync
with the main site's footer. It'd be great if the blog theme were in sync with
the main site theme.

Additionally, the WordPress theme has other problems:

* It's not available in public version control.
* We don't document how to change it.

My current plan for how to change it involves writing a tool to convert our
Django theme into a WordPress theme. In particular:

* First, I will add a Django view that generates a stub page with a few fill-in-
the-blank pieces.

* Then, I will write a little tool that converts these stub pages into a
WordPress-compatible theme directory.

* Then, I will document the process for modifying our WordPress theme.

* Then I will request review on all that. I will update this ticket as this plan
progresses, and feedback here is extremely welcome!

(I realize the importance of this may be low -- hence priority == wish -- but I
think it's fun, and it's Sunday, and it will have the advantage of making it
easier to test style updates against the blog. We've had a long-standing problem
of CSS changes sometimes breaking the blog view, and we care a lot about the blog
looking reasonable.)

messages: 3340
nosy: paulproteus
priority: wish
status: unread
title: WordPress theme is out-of-date compared to main site