[OH-Dev] Moving our repositories to GitHub

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Thu Feb 9 23:28:49 UTC 2012

Hey all,

As per a thread a few months ago, we seemed to reach consensus on moving
our repositories from Gitorious to github.

(Old thread:
http://lists.openhatch.org/pipermail/devel/2011-November/002521.html )

I'm planning to tackle that in the next few days. Here's what that will
mean:

For oh-mainline
---------------

Thu Feb 9 <-> Sun Feb 12: All changes will be made to both Gitorious and
Github

(During this period I'll update documentation and scripts to rely on
Github, not Gitorious.)

Mon Feb 13: The Gitorious repository will be adjusted to simply contain a
WE_HAVE_MOVED.txt file, and no further commits will get pushed there.

For our other repositories

I'll migrate these in a more ad-hoc fashion, adjusting documentation and
scripts. I expect them to be done by the end of Sun, Feb 12.

Why are we doing this

Github.com is faster, and it has more uptime, than Gitorious. It takes
effort to maintain a presence on both systems for one project, so it
doesn't make obvious sense to simply be on both.

(I do realize Github is not running free software. I'm sad about that part
of this move.)