[OH-Dev] Moving our git repository to Github

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Mon Nov 28 03:18:43 UTC 2011

Hey now all OpenHatch peeps,

I propose that we move our main Git repository hosting to Github. I expect
most people won't mind, but some people's feathers will be ruffled by us
switching from a free-software service (Gitorious) to a proprietary one
(Github).

My own feathers are ruffled by me proposing it, honestly. I'm not
thrilled, and I'll write more at the bottom about why I think it's a good
idea.

This is separate from any workflow changes, which might also be a good
idea, but I see as separate.

Proposal
--------

We declare that an account on Github has the primary git repository for
OpenHatch website development, as well as is the primary store for the
other git repositories we have.

Tasks to get there:

* We adjust the new-contributor documentation to point at a repo on
github.com not gitorious.org

* We adjust server-side scripts that look at the repository to use
github.com as "origin"

* We make a list of which features we're willing to use (examples: we sure
do want to use the git repo hosting. We don't want to use the issue
tracker because it sucks. We don't want to use the wiki because we want to
limit our use of Github-only features.)

Other thoughts about getting there:

* I, for one, am not personally interested in maintaining a mirror on
Gitorious. I don't want it to get out-of-date.

* I propose that we do:

    git rm *
    echo "WE MOVED THE REPO. SEE github.com/openhatch" > WE_HAVE_MOVED.txt
    git add WE_HAVE_MOVED.txt
    git commit -m 'We moved'

(or something similarly clear) to all the repos hosted on
gitorious.org. This prevents a serious problem where contributors find an
out-of-date repository and wonder why there's no activity.

Reasons I want to switch
------------------------

In the past few months, I've experienced more than one full day in which
Gitorious refuses to accept my SSH key authentication. To fix it, more
than half of the time, I have to file a support request. That's the main
issue for me.

Gitorious makes it hard to integrate the git repository with other
services like IRC bots. Github provides "web hooks" that make this quite
easy. (Gitorious' code supports this, but it's *disabled* on the main
gitorious.org instance.)

We could have these features if we hosted the git repository ourselves,
but that comes with maintenance burden that I (at least) am not able to
take up.

Github has the hugely-useful feature of showing the README file on the
front page of the repository.

Github's git hosting provides way-faster bandwidth, which (when timing
from a machine on the MIT.EDU wired network) provides our repo in 45
seconds. A clone from Gitorious takes 7 minutes. Most users will
experience a less-dramatic speed difference, but that was amazing to see.

Github is also more well-known, makes our repository easy to find, and
because of these things *maybe* more people will submit contributions
through it compared to Gitorious. I'm not particularly swayed by this
argument (I would emphasize the word "maybe" strongly), but I wanted to
mention it in case anyone else is thinking it and wonders why I didn't
mention it. (-:

Timeline
--------

Unknown; I can't put any time into this at the moment, but I wanted to get
the idea out there.