[OH-Dev] Getting the half-written IRC training mission working

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Mon Dec 10 18:24:06 UTC 2012

Hey all,

John Stumpo wrote (...years ago, actually) an IRC training mission, and
I'd been talking with satyag on IRC about satyag maybe bringing it more
fully online.

We keep missing each other on IRC, so Satya, I thought I'd write a
longer-form note by email so we're on the same page.

I tried the code in the "missions" branch at
https://github.com/stump/oh-mainline and to make it work, I have to:

* Make sure there is no ircbot.py and no ircbot.pyc in the oh-mainline/
root directory (I had earlier advised you to add that, which was a
mistake)

* sudo apt-get install python-irclib (on Ubuntu or Debian systems)

* python manage.py migrate

* python manage.py irc_missionbot

That should launch the bot; I've tested it.

I think there's more work to do in order to give the IRC bot the "plot" we
want. See http://openhatch.org/bugs/issue396 for that!