[Ccsf-campus-staff] checking in

Katherine Moloney kmoloney at mail.ccsf.edu
Wed Mar 19 23:19:19 UTC 2014

I'm off to the SF Python hack
nigh<http://www.meetup.com/sfpython/events/171271902/>t,
to recruit more mentors.

As for documenting, at minimum, one of the attendees has a tablet, and I'll
just put him on the mission to take pictures periodically.  Possibly one of
our members who is a decent photographer was trying to arrange his wife or
someone else to watch their sons, so he could come for both the workshop &
the picture-taking.

In related vein, the connection into the projection is VGA, so:

   - what kind of laptops do you -- Alex, Geoff, Jeremy, Maria, and
   Veronica -- have?
   - ...and do you have a connector that would display your screen to a VGA
   input?

...I figure between this group and the students/faculty we'll come up with
the necessary connections.

And additional documentation -- with each person's permission -- we'd like
to record the presentations, just desktop screencapture with USB audio
input.  The technology we've used in the past has been:

    for Macs:  http://acomp.stanford.edu/tutorials/screen_recordings
    for PCs or Linux:  http://obsproject.com

...both Quicktime (Mac) and OBS recognize USB-connected headset mics.  And
again, between this group & the student/faculty we'll come up with a USB
headset mic.

Working on a loan for a more complicated device for recording the 'career
panel' -- just audio intended for an mp3 podcast format (just don't have
the personal connections to do video capture [though I just realized that
one of the SF Python organizers does this kind of recording for
Twitter...I'll ask tonight, but given the short turnaround time, probably a
non-starter]).  So likely just audio with a Zoom H2N.

In summary:

   - what kind of laptop will you be bringing (Mac, Linux)?
   - do you have a VGA connector for that O/S?
   - do you have a USB-headset mic?
   - would you be okay with us screencapture-recording your presentationi?
   - would you be okay with us audio recording the panel discussion?
   - would you be okay with us video recording the panel discussion
   (extremely unlikely possibility)?

Thanks,

Katherine

p.s. On-site breakfast is just going to be Starbucks coffee, OJ, and
donuts/muffins.  Lunch is wraps, salad & hummus coming from this Syrian
restaurant, Palmyra <http://palmyrasf.com/menu/>, with cookies and soda for
snacks (there are water fountains in the building for refilling water
bottles).  At the back of the presentation room is a kitchenette with sink
& refrigerator, if you need it.

p.p.s. The Multi-Use Building that we'll be in is at the bottom right of
this map -- http://www.ccsf.edu/Info/Map/ -- we'll be in a large ground
floor room on the south side of the building.  I have parking passes for
those that need them, so you can park right next to the building.  The
address for the college is 50 Phelan Ave, San Francisco, and we're right
next to the Balboa BART station.