[Ccsf-campus-staff] City College OSCTC workshop attendees -- Sat 3/22

Katherine Moloney kmoloney at mail.ccsf.edu
Mon Mar 17 17:18:19 UTC 2014

Hi everyone,

I've been watching the list of those registering for the workshop, seeing
the pools that they're coming from:

CCSF Linux Users Group -- mostly CS majors
CCSF Coders -- student programming club, mostly CS majors
E&T -- Engineering majors, usually no programming background
WDDC -- Web Developer & Designer Club -- mostly HTML/CSS/Javascript, no
functional or OO programming background
WISE -- Women in Science & Engineering -- mostly science majors, no
programming background
WWC CCSF -- Women Who Code student chapter at college -- mostly CS majors
TechSF -- http://www.sfmayor.org/index.aspx?page=738

...today in particular I noticed an uptick in registrations from TechSF,
which is a job retraining program funded by the city of SF and one of our
event sponsors.

I just wanted to give you an FYI that:

   - a few students are advanced programmers, fluent in the language they
   know
   - most are still learning, but know how to look up the language features
   they need
   - a few will be brand new programming altogether

...I don't think this changes the structure of the day, except possibly
during the contribution workshop, we might choose to have one of the
mentors model reviewing project communication & working on a particular bug
(this could be at the front of the room, and those who want to work on
their own can shift to the back of the room where the remaining mentors can
work with them).

I think this workshop can show the pathway, and then students will cross
the skills gap shortly.

Katherine