[Ccsf-campus-staff] Interested in mentoring at CCSF Open Source Software Workshop

Katherine Moloney kmoloney at mail.ccsf.edu
Sun Mar 16 14:18:09 UTC 2014

Hello again everyone,

I want to introduce Maria Pacana to everyone else (Shauna, Geoff, and
Veronica):

Hi Katherine,

I just found out about the OSS workshop you're having at SF City College
and would love to help out / mentor. I haven't been an open source
contributor for very long, but I just finished an internship with Wikimedia
through the GNOME Outreach Program for Women, so I have a good
understanding of what it's like to be involved in open source for the first
time.

[I'll be sending a big thank you to Alaina Percival (Women Who Code SF) for
including our mentor recruitment efforts in her regular email newsletter on
Friday.]

...I've left the introductory threads below, so Maria can read about
everyone else.

Maria, I really enjoyed reading your blog posts --
mariapacana.tumblr.com-- about your contributions to
Parsoid <http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Parsoid>, your developing attitude
toward using irc, and the host of other topics around your development as a
programmer.

A quick recap (for Maria) before I leave the 4 of you to work out who will
do which sections of the curriculum (please keep me & the
ccsf-campus-staff at lists.openhatch.org email CCed on your conversations):

   - Here's the links I've found to the Open Hatch curriculum (Shauna can
   correct me):
      - https://openhatch.org/wiki/Open_Source_Comes_to_Campus/Curriculum
      -
      https://github.com/openhatch/open-source-comes-to-campus/tree/master/curriculum
      - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWCH8nos97w
         - Shauna, are there other videos online?  While this one appears
         to be under the ShaunaGM user, when I click 'Videos' it says
that this user
         has no videos, no playlists, so not sure how this video is
connected to the
         user -- and therefore how to find others like it
      - Here's the survey responses from the students who've registered so
   far:
   https://docs.google.com/a/mail.ccsf.edu/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AlYlN3mu5OJbdFVsQnFyTHFQM2ZFUzZ4cTR0SXJuVEE&usp=drive_web#gid=0
      - While there are some experienced programmers in the bunch, many of
      the students registered are brand new to learning to code (some in the
      middle of their first semester of classes)
         - I don't think this is a bad thing -- we're advertising to reach
         the widest possible audience, and to bring them on the path to
         participating in & contributing to open source
            - [ ** great video that communicates clearly, even to beginners
            who don't have the Python chops to do this kind of work
yet **] PyOhio 2010
            'Teach Me Python Bugfixing'
            http://www.pyvideo.org/video/513/pyohio-2010--teach-me-python-bugfixing
         - Many of the students have laptops running the Windows O/S --
      approx. 1/3 of registered students
         - Should we have those using Windows laptops make sure they
         install Visual Studio beforehand?
      - Still recruiting mentors, so there will be new volunteers
   on-boarding with you, maybe as late as Thursday, since visiting Python
   Project Night on Wed 3/19.  If anyone knows anyone who would be interested
   & available, please bring them in.

Finally, a big thank you to all of you -- I & all the other students are
really excited about this workshop & appreciative that you are giving your
Saturday to help our development.  Wow.  Thank you.

Regards,

Katherine