[Ccsf-campus-staff] Interested in mentoring at CCSF Open Source Software Workshop

Veronica Ray veronica.l.ray at gmail.com
Sat Mar 15 20:14:56 UTC 2014

Hey everyone,

I got started coding my freshman year of college when I took a basic web
development class. I came into open source when I moved to SF last year. My
friend Susan Tan (who is involved with OpenHatch) really encouraged me get
involved.

I made minor contributions to various projects until I found Refuge
Restrooms. It's a Ruby on Rails web application that seeks to provide safe
restroom access for transgender, intersex, and gender nonconforming
individuals. I really care about it and am good friends with the project
leader. I have added an administrative backend, environment variables and a
contact form to the app. I'm currently working on integrating with the
Foursquare API.

On Twitter I was saying that I plan on  contributing to the ClojureBridge
materials (curriculum, sample apps, documentation) while I learn
Clojure. ClojureBridge aims to increase diversity within the Clojure
community by offering free, beginner-friendly Clojure programming workshops
for women. I volunterred to TA their workshop in May for I figured I should
learn the language! For reference I'm an experienced Java and Scala
developer.

I have no dietary restrictions.

Looking forward to the workshop!

Veronica