[Ccsf-campus-staff] Interested in mentoring at CCSF Open Source Software Workshop

Katherine Moloney kmoloney at mail.ccsf.edu
Sat Mar 15 11:20:46 UTC 2014

Hi Veronica,

You are a rock star!  Thank you!

Can you tell us about how you first got started with computers, coding,
etc?  And how did you come to open source initially, and which open source
projects are you most interested/involved in now?  [I thought I saw a
discussion of working on Clojure as a way of learning Clojure in your
twitter feed @nerdonica]

As for us:

   - I'm a student at City College, just starting to use these tools and
   considering digging into the communities & code of open source
   - Shauna <http://www.shaunagm.net/#about> is one of the main organizers
   of OpenHatch <http://openhatch.org/>
   - Geoff <http://ldpreload.com/>is the lead for our workshop

The workshop will be at the Ocean campus of City College of San
Francisco.  Here's
the map -- http://www.ccsf.edu/Info/Map/ -- upper right corner shows the
Balboa Park BART station, bottom shows the workshop location (Multi-Use
Building room 140).  We'll be starting at 9am on Sat 3/22...starting with
coffee, OJ and pastries.  [By the way, do you have any dietary
restrictions?]

This is the second time we'll be doing this workshop (the first was on
6/29/2013).
This was the schedule last time:
http://lists.openhatch.org/pipermail/ccsf-campus-staff/2013-June/000047.html
...plus this is the standard Open Hatch curriculum:
https://openhatch.org/wiki/Open_Source_Comes_to_Campus/Curriculum

The last time the workshop ran, the jump from the morning to the afternoon
"contribution workshop" didn't work -- everyone kind of hung out and
chatted with the presenters (6 of them, 40 of us).  Many of the students
attending the workshop:

https://docs.google.com/a/mail.ccsf.edu/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AlYlN3mu5OJbdFVsQnFyTHFQM2ZFUzZ4cTR0SXJuVEE&usp=drive_web#gid=0

...are still in their first programming classes, so we're trying to modify
the workshop to suit.

Here's the latest attempt to rough out the schedule for this iteration of
the workshop:

pre-workshop:
https://openhatch.org/wiki/Open_Source_Comes_to_Campus/CCSF/Laptop_setup
                      getting comfortable with the command line
                      installing MS Visual Studio, if necessary  (I don't
know)

workshop:
  + BREAKFAST
  + irc intro
  + discovering & figuring out an unfamiliar project (docs, bug trackers,
mailing lists, etc)
      > https://openhatch.org/wiki/OSCTC/FindingProjects
      > maybe a walk thru of one of the Google Summer of Code project
ideas:

http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/org/list/public/google/gsoc2014

      > or OpenHatch, or any other project that one of the mentors is
involved in

  + career panel:
https://openhatch.org/wiki/Open_Source_Comes_to_Campus/Curriculum/Career_Panel
  + LUNCH
  + git / GitHub intro/review
  + "contribution workshop"
      > maybe a recreation of the 'Teach Me Python Bugfixing'
http://www.pyvideo.org/video/513/pyohio-2010--teach-me-python-bugfixing  (
** great video ** )
         -- pair programming style (one person volunteers to type, everyone
in the room can call out suggestions, with skilled moderator guiding)
      > would like to talk about:
          -- getting latest build & all the necessary dependencies
          -- configure, make, etc
      > not sure what bug to build it around, but

What are everyone's thoughts?

Katherine