[Ccsf-campus-staff] Meetup to discuss Website and curriculum

Tyler B tylerbrothers1 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 16 15:57:41 UTC 2014

Hey Everyone,

Just poured over everything that has been going on since I left - great
job!

>From the Hangouts notes (thanks, Katherine!), I had some comments. Below is
the current "rough" curriculum:

>    -
>
>    Intro to Open Source
>    -
>
>    Mentor & Project introductions
>    -
>
>       Mozilla
>       -
>
>       ???
>       -
>
>    Split:
>    -
>
>       Beginners -- work on skills
>       -
>
>          irc
>          -
>
>          GitHub
>          -
>
>       Advanced -- work on contributions
>       -
>
>    Career Panel
>    -
>
>    Lunch
>    -
>
>    Contributions
>    -
>
>       first 30mins -- all Advanced students join mentors helping Beginners
>       - then -- everyone working on Contributions

   1. The intro's are a great idea. I see on
   http://example-osctc-site.github.io/curriculum/ that there already is a
   "What Is Open Source" lesson. I think we should use that and have someone
   present it - who?
   2. For the "Beginners" skills -
   http://openhatch.github.io/open-source-comes-to-campus/lessons/comm-tools/#/
   goes over mailing lists, irc and issue trackers. We should setup our own
   version of each of these so after the lesson students could use each of
   these services to better understand them.
   http://openhatch.github.io/open-source-comes-to-campus/lessons/what-is-version-control/#/
   is a lesson on version control, and appears excellent for beginners!
   3. on "Github" under "Beginners" - How in depth (if at all) do we want
   to go with Git? GitHub is mentioned in the "What is Version Control" lesson
   above - so the *idea* is covered. For fledgling programmers, it will
   explode their brain to actually use command line git.
   4. On "contributions" - Do we really want beginners to try and
   contribute code by the end of the day? I dont think we even prepare them
   fully as we dont cover version control systems in depth enough for them to
   know how to fork or do a pull request. Other "contribution" projects are
   more approachable, like writing documentation, however I dont think
   beginner students will have a good enough framework to even know what they
   should write about. Instead, I think the goal for a "beginner" programmer
   should be to complete each lesson. I think we could expand the lessons to
   be lectures with hands on projects - like using IRC.

Also available all day today to Google Hangout.

Sincerely,

Tyler Brothers

Phone: 925-998-9956

   - www.linkedin.com/in/tylerbrothers/