[Ccsf-campus-staff] how did the event go?

Maria Pacana maria.pacana at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 09:17:03 UTC 2014

> Did you use any of the activities in our curriculum (for instance, getting
> students onto IRC, the bug comprehension exercise)?

I didn't do either of those activities. We'd just had the 30-min IRC
workshop, so I figured that we'd already done enough IRC-ing for the day,
and I had an activity idea of my own (see below).

 If there's anything new you did that you think went over well I'd love to
> hear about it.  :)

I didn't quite have enough time to execute my activity idea perfectly; I
squeezed it into the last 20m. Ideally students would probably spend at
least an hour doing this activity. Here's how I'd suggest structuring it,
in an ideal world:

1) Ask students to brainstorm OS projects they want to contribute to. Show
them how to explore and evaluate projects on OpenHatch, GitHub, OhLoh, etc.
(does the project involve languages / topics I am familiar with or
interested in? are people actively contributing to it? etc.)

2) Once students have a specific project in mind, have them look for a bug
/ issue that they want to work on.

3) Once they have a bug in mind, have them draft an email or IRC message to
the maintainers, in which they introduce themselves and ask a couple of
questions about the project or the bug they're working on. Slightly
contrived, but it helps get the ball rolling. The message was based on the
following criteria (which I took from Mel Chua <http://blog.melchua.com/>):

   - Can this person independently navigate the resources my project has on
   the website? (base level initiative)
   - Is this person trying to do something that would be helpful to me?
   - Is there a specific ask I could help with?
   - Is there a way I can publicly respond to this person? (not
   bottlenecking)

4) Have students critique each other's draft messages before sending them
off.