[Ccsf-campus-staff] how did the event go?

Katherine Moloney kmoloney at mail.ccsf.edu
Wed Apr 9 03:54:46 UTC 2014

No, not attending PyCon, but TAing at Software Carpentry event on Mon/Tue
4/14-15:

http://swcarpentry.github.io/2014-04-14-wise/

...no hurry with this review as we won't be holding event again until fall.

Katherine

On Tuesday, April 8, 2014, Shauna Gordon-McKeon <shaunagm at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the detailed feedback, Katherine.  I don't think I'll have
time to read & respond in-depth until next week*, but I'm looking forward
to it!

https://docs.google.com/a/mail.ccsf.edu/file/d/0B_9oxqSu1j8mS0Jfd2kwOElyMTQ/edit
>> ...some notes:
>>     + the front of the room is the bottom of the page
>>     + M = male student attendee, W = female student attendee, WFac =
female faculty attendee, WM = female mentor
>> In total...
>>     - 73 registered
>>     -   2 emailed ahead of time that they had a conflict and couldn't
come.
>>     -   1 additional registrant emailed the day of the workshop, saying
he hadn't registered for CCSF Wireless wi-fi
>> (this is my fault for not changing the setup email for those who
registered close to the event, as access to CCSF Wireless was not necessary)
>> ...thus following percentages are based on 69 registered & intending to
come to the workshop:
>> 46 of 69 attended for 66.7% follow-thru
>> Of the 46 attendees, 33 were male students (71.7%) and 13 were female
(12 students, 1 faculty, totally 28.3%).
>> And last time we ran the workshop (Sat 6/29/2013), there were 51
registrants, 40 of which came (8 female students, 30 male students, 2 male
faculty).
>> Regards,
>> Katherine
>>
>> On Tue, Apr 8, 2014 at 3:25 PM, Katherine Moloney <kmoloney at mail.ccsf.edu>
wrote:

>> Hi,
>> Sorry I've been M.I.A. from this conversation -- long, boring story
about how I've had no Internet access at home for like a month -- so now
taking some time at work to upload the notes I've been making about the
event.
>> Regards,
>> Katherine
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>> +  Suggestions:
>>     =>  A Code of Conduct - one mentor reported inappropriate behavior
from an attendee ("you have such pretty eyes" and unnecessarily touching
his arm) - mentor said this didn't bother him, but wanted us to know about
it since it was unprofessional.  I don't raise the point that 'this didn't
bother X' to de-emphasize the issue, only to give context.  Definitely will
be implementing an explicit code of conduct in the future
>>     => Make sure food is conducive to a long day - less sugar snacks,
more fats & proteins ("long burning fuels" for the body)
>>     => Next time have separate buttons on the event page for "Attendee"
and "Mentor" registration
>> + What worked
>>     => The mentor/volunteers were really awesome - the attendees really
enjoyed talking to them, it became a club hack session with more
experienced club members, a real sense of camaraderie and fun
>>     => Lunch - yummy, but watch out for ordering right quantity -- order
more (ordered for 75, only 52 attended, but food all gone)?
>> + What didn't work
>>     => The Room
>>         ++ for the Wi-Fi, we need to statically set the DNS to 8.8.8.8
as the college's DNS server isn't efficient enough -- write up instructions
how to do this
>>         ++ we needed to use the microphones more consistently as some of
the attendees in the back of the room couldn't hear, and then tuned out