[Campus-uconn-staff] OpenHatch UConn Planning meeting report 2014-09-01

Pariksheet Nanda pariksheet.nanda at uconn.edu
Mon Sep 1 23:28:59 UTC 2014

Hello OpenHatch UConn planning,

Shauna and I had our first planning meeting today [1] to go kick off
our organizing efforts.  Summarized below are action items for the
near future (the complete list of planning action items is the trello
website [2]).  Also, since this is the first event UConn will be
hosting, I also list some of my many questions and Shauna's
explanations.

*** Action items ***

1) Reserve the event room:

It will be good to confirm the event room so that we can advertise the
event to the 120+ OpenHatch mentor list, note the room in the
publicity website, and advertise the "save the date" flyers.  Doing
this early is a good idea since it's possible that availability of our
room might nudge the date to November 16.  Shauna pointed to the
location checklist [3] and suggested having tables and/or movable
seating would be better for organizing group work.

2) Mentors:

We need to involve 5-6 mentors to serve the typical 30 attendee group
size; we currently have 2.  In the past some OpenHatch events have
been run by as little as 2 mentors since the students will pair to
work with eachother and there are many self-guided activities [4] with
mentors checking in.  We can never have too many mentors!

*** Q and A with Shauna ***

Q1) We would need some funding to run the event.  What does most of
the money need to cover?  Where would it come from?

A1) Funding mostly covers food.  Advertising costs are fairly
negligible.  Some would cover travel expenses for mentors traveling to
the event.  Expenses are on the order of about $400.  Often the
student organization or local corporate sponsorship would cover the
cost.

Q2) Would mentors necessarily be involved with the planning process?

A2) It would also be good to check with signed-up mentors how much
they would like to be involved with the logistics and planning, as
opposed to just helping on the day of the event.

Q3) When do we confirm the schedule?  How much does the schedule vary
between events at different locations?

A3) For this stage of the planning purpose just knowing how long to
reserve the room is what's important.  We would need to pin down the
schedule to be able to advertise the publicity website for flyers, and
there is a little time to do that.  Event 2 weeks before the event is
good for finalizing the schedule.  The example schedule [5] should
work well for our first event.  In practice, events don't follow the
times strictly, but the times help guide how long the activities are.
There is space to customize with other modules [4] which we can
discuss as we recruit more mentors.

Pariksheet

[1] https://trello.com/c/NFcepZDh/1-schedule-meeting-between-shauna-and-lead-organizers-to-go-over-timeline-process-and-responsibilities

[2] https://trello.com/b/PllAN9p8/uconn-july-2014