[Campus-uconn-staff] Mentors mailing-list and career panel

Shauna Gordon-McKeon shaunagm at gmail.com
Fri Oct 3 15:55:42 UTC 2014

On Fri, Oct 3, 2014 at 6:50 AM, Pariksheet Nanda <pariksheet.nanda at uconn.edu
> wrote:

> Hi Shauna,
>
> On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 9:35 PM, Shauna Gordon-McKeon <shaunagm at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > My apologies - I had mistakenly put this event down in my notes as taking
> > place in November and so had not been giving it the priority it
> deserves.  I
> > will send out calls for local mentors and remote career panelists as
> soon as
> > I finish this email.
>
> No problem at all.
>
> Did any of the September events this year have a remote panel?   I
> wonder if we can share a remote panel with another university on
> Saturday October 18 and maybe amend our schedule to accommodate it.

Yes there's at least one that has a remote panel that day, but I'm slightly
nervous about attempting to get two schools' in on the same panel,
technologically speaking.  What's your motivation for wanting to share a
panel?

> > - The website: looks good!  I've set it up to redirect to
> > http://uconn.openhatch.org/ -- it should start showing up in about 20
> > minutes.
>
> Wonderful.  I have updated the flyer to reflect this change:
>
> https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzDuDh-BznYbS1JxNUs2Y2JSUG8/view?usp=sharing
>
> How strongly do we want to encourage students to register for the
> event vs entertaining walk-ins on the event day?  I wasn't sure if I
> should say "registration required" on the flyer.

I usually say, "Please register so we can get an appropriate amount of
food" or something similar.  This gets most people to register (they want
food!) without completely dismissing the idea of walk-ins.

> > - Funding: Have you heard back re: how much of the budget the school
> itself
> > can cover?
>
> Let me get back to you on this.

Great, thanks.

> > - Have you worked out whether or not you'll be able to attend the event
> in
> > person? I can't find any email trace of this conversation, but I believe
> we
> > talked about you maybe being out of the country during the event.
>
> Unfortunately I don't know yet if I would be back in time for the
> event.  It all depends on when my VISA is approved which could be
> tomorrow or it could be in a month.

Okay, well, keep me updated.  Do you have someone you're working with who
can take care of things - not curricula, but logistics - if you can't make
it back?