[Campus-uconn-staff] Mentors mailing-list and career panel

Pariksheet Nanda pariksheet.nanda at uconn.edu
Tue Oct 7 06:48:43 UTC 2014

Hi Shauna,

On Fri, Oct 3, 2014 at 3:55 PM, Shauna Gordon-McKeon <shaunagm at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 3, 2014 at 6:50 AM, Pariksheet Nanda
> <pariksheet.nanda at uconn.edu> wrote:
>
>> Did any of the September events this year have a remote panel?   I
>> wonder if we can share a remote panel with another university on
>> Saturday October 18 and maybe amend our schedule to accommodate it.
>
> Yes there's at least one that has a remote panel that day, but I'm slightly
> nervous about attempting to get two schools' in on the same panel,
> technologically speaking.  What's your motivation for wanting to share a
> panel?

My thought process was if there were few volunteers for the career
panel we could get more bang for the buck by sharing, but I hadn't
considered the technological trouble of doing this as I have no
personal experience setting up multi-party video conferences.

> I usually say, "Please register so we can get an appropriate amount of food"
> or something similar.  This gets most people to register (they want food!)
> without completely dismissing the idea of walk-ins.

Great; I've added this into the the flyer.

>>> - Funding: Have you heard back re: how much of the budget the school
>>> itself can cover?

I will be sponsoring this event.  I'll campaign for buy-in from
faculty and corporate sponsors for an event next semester, but didn't
want to lose equity by requesting this time since I'm out of the
country and I feel funding is something best discussed in person.

> Okay, well, keep me updated.  Do you have someone you're working with who
> can take care of things - not curricula, but logistics - if you can't make
> it back?

Thanks for bringing this up.  I'll organize a meeting with the mentors
this week and assign the logistical responsibilities.  In addition to
the usual stuff we need someone to get the room keys 5 days before the
event.

Pariksheet