[Campus-purdue-staff] Fwd: hosting an "Introduction to Open Source" event at Purdue in September

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Fri Sep 6 01:42:24 UTC 2013

On Tue, 3 Sep 2013, Lauren Marie Stuart wrote:

> I've updated the email list and done some more emailing -- I've found
> what I think are the active emails for the "Women In *" groups and I'm
> going to track down the other diversity/underrepresented groups. The
> Facebook ref is from a post I made on a page for CS students. Since we
> have another CSWN board meeting tomorrow, I'll follow up on the other
> lists.
>
> As well, we'll formally make an event announcement (and flyers for the
> campus) through the Purdue student org channels and that should get us a
> bit more visibility outside of the groups that we already know how to
> contact.
>
> Map/directions still in the works, along with checking off tech
> capabilities.

This all sounds great; thank you, Lauren!

Have you had a chance to ping the general Physics and other science
department mailing lists? They're not gender-specific, but that should be
OK if we can reach the people we want to reach; we'll reach some who
aren't relevant, but I think that's OK. (If we get what you feel is too
many non-women signed up, we can tell them we ran out of space, which
would be true since it's up to us what "space" is.)

Also, I'm glad you're interested in a flyer! Have you started on that yet?
If not, and you can wait a day or so, we can try to see if we can find
one; past student groups putting on the event might have put something
together. Either way, if you put something together, I'm sure other
student groups putting the event on would be interested in using it in the
future!

-- Asheesh.