[Campus-purdue-staff] Possible staff for Open Source Comes to Campus, and also hello

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Fri Sep 6 01:39:32 UTC 2013

Hi Ed! I'm one of the people helping organize this Open Source Comes to
Campus event at Purdue, and I was wondering if you might be able to help
us grow the collection of people who are staff volunteers.

First of all, it's an honor that you signed up! You seem to be a bit of a
cornerstone of the Lafayette open source community, from what I see
online, with the Greater Lafayette Open Source Symposium and your work on
Spaz.

The way we structure the events is to have a first half of lectures and
hands-on exercises for students, and a second half of the day where
students work hands-on to contribute to real open source projects. It
seems to me from your experiences that you'd be more helpful as a
mentor/teacher/TA, rather than as an attendee; is that something you'd be
comfortable with? I'll send you our usual form email about that sort of
thing so you can see the details.

Also -- I wondered if you knew anyone else who might be interested in
being a teacher/TA/mentor. I noticed a few people on the Meetup for the
Greater Lafayette Open Source Symposium that seemed possibly great; if you
know them, are you willing to send them a brief email about the event,
with me CC:d, and ask them if they're willing to possibly volunteer?

<http://purdue.openhatch.org/> is the event website, for what it's worth!

As we're partnering wth CS Women's Network at Purdue, we're
especially hoping to find young women at Purdue who might be
interested in attending. Do you know some personally that you
might be willing to invite?

The people I was hoping you might ping from the Meetup are:

* Lauren Bruce (perhaps she'd be interested in attending as a staffer, or
as a student, if CSWN will be OK with some attendees being Purdue alumni)

* Verónica Vergara L., at ITaP's Research Computing unit

* Tara Athan, not sure if best as attendee or mentor

* Karen Demerly, whose PHP programming experience might make her a great
mentor if students select PHP-based projects

Let me know what you think. I'd be also very hapy to grow the attendee and
mentor base further!

Cheers,

-- Asheesh.