[Campus-purdue-staff] Fwd: hosting an "Introduction to Open Source" event at Purdue in September

Shauna Gordon-McKeon shaunagm at gmail.com
Wed Aug 28 12:33:01 UTC 2013

Forwarding this to the list.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Shauna Gordon-McKeon <shaunagm at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 8:32 AM
Subject: Re: [Campus-purdue-staff] hosting an "Introduction to Open Source"
event at Purdue in September
To: Lauren Marie Stuart <lstuart at purdue.edu>

> Bloomington is about 2.5 hours' drive, and Chicago a bit more depending on
> your ultimate destination. Late morning/early afternoon is perfect. If we
> got started at 11 or 12, broke for lunch, then did the rest fueled by
> snacks, would that work? What time do you need to be in Chicago, and what
> time do you need to do what you do?

That sounds great.  Why don't we plan to start at 11am, break for lunch for
12:30-1:30, and then continue on til 5?  We have no deadline for getting to
Chicago, beyond "not impossibly late at night" so we should be able to
finish whenever.

As for food, we usually provide a vegetarian option but are there other
> dietary restrictions I should plan for, or suggestions in that vein? I'm
> thinking sandwiches or a burrito bar for lunch, and bagels/spread or
> chips/pretzels plus some fruit for the afternoon.

That sounds wonderful.  Definitely make sure there's vegetarian options.
 We include a question about dietary restrictions in our sign up survey so
we'll be able to see if there are any more restrictions over the next
couple of weeks.

> Please refer to "us" as the Computer Science Women's Network at Purdue,
> and our website is http://www.cs.purdue.edu/cswn -- we have some logos on
> our "Resources" page if you'd like to use those.
>
> I made an assumption that this event would be bring-your-own-device and so
> requested a classroom (approval still pending) instead of a computer lab.
> Should I change venues for us?
>
> On last question, regarding titling: "Open Source Comes to Campus: Purdue"?

Great!  People should bring their own computers, so we don't need a lab.
 The room you requested should be fine.

- Shauna