[Campus-purdue-staff] Fwd: hosting an "Introduction to Open Source" event at Purdue in September

Shauna Gordon-McKeon shaunagm at gmail.com
Thu Aug 29 03:02:32 UTC 2013

Thanks!  Will all attendees know how to get to LILY 3102, or is there a web
site with directions to LILY that might be useful?

Your plan sounds fine to me - we can provide snacks at the beginning of the
day instead of the end, and run from 12:30 to, say, 7?

I'd suggest a schedule of:

12:30 - 2:30 - tutorials
2:30 - 4:30 - patch workshop
4:30 - 5:00 - career panel
5:00 - 6:30 - dinner and socializing, with optional continuing to submit
patches

You can also take a look at our publicity website, which is up here:
http://purdue.openhatch.org/

Do you see any changes you'd like us to make?

If not, we can go ahead and begin our publicity.  I've added you, Lauren,
to our google drive planning folder.  Specifically, there's a "publicity
spreadsheet" where we can keep track of the different lists we've emailed
and whether our publicity has gone out on them.  We encourage you to send
emails to any groups you think would be interested - we find we get the
best responses when local hosts send emails to groups and
professors/administrators/club officers known to them.  That said, we're
happy to send out whatever emails you don't have the time to get to.

If you're up for doing some of the publicity, you'll probably want to use
the "computer science email template", in the folder "email templates".
 That's the one we use for computer science themed groups, departments,
professors.  We also like to send emails to science departments, as there
are many wonderful open source projects in the sciences, but these are
fairly customized and it's usually easier for us to take care of.  Which
we'll go ahead and do.  :)  Just let us know if there's a particular
group/department/professor where you feel that your personal touch might
help with turnout, and we'll show you how to customize the other,
science-themed, template.

Let me know if you have any questions!