[Campus-hartnell-staff] planning another Open Source Comes to Campus event for the fall

Shauna Gordon-McKeon shaunagm at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 02:20:19 UTC 2014

On Mon, Oct 20, 2014 at 8:24 PM, Katie Cunningham <kcunningham at csumb.edu>
wrote:

> Hi Shauna,
>
> No problem :) I enjoyed your talk! A very smooth introduction.
>
> I think the biggest thing I'd like to change is a better understanding of
> the foundational concepts. I think last time students were learning about
> patching but didn't have a concrete idea of why there were patching. Later
> on, during our follow-up event, the students didn't have a solid idea about
> the steps to go through to replicate a bug, and then the steps to
> fork-clone-add-commit-push-pull request (after typing that it's clear why
> it's tricky :). Also, I'd like to explore ways of keeping students in the
> loop and engaged after the event. I know there has been some discussion of
> this on one of the mailing lists, so perhaps I can go back there and get
> inspired.

One thing to think about it is how to construct the event so people can
learn what they want at their own pace.  That's always one of the big
hurdles when we come up with a curriculum - different people learn
differently, and it's hard to accommodate them all at once.

One option might be to create groups centered around people's interests.
So for git, folks who are interested in learning about the concepts of
diffing and patching, and understanding more conceptually how git works,
could go in one group.  (Asheesh, I think, would love to lead this group.)
 Another group that wanted hands on experience making a change could go
with our traditional git activity, led by you or others who feel
comfortable.

I've been a big advocate of breaking into task or interest focused group
during the contributions workshop, although apparently I've been doing a
poor job of advocating for this/explaining my intent because none of the 6
events that have run since I created the activities have actually used
them.  But we *do* have a "how to replicate a bug" activity now!  It may
not be very good, but we have it.

I think key to all of this is identifying our mentors well ahead of time
and making sure they're comfortable with what they're teaching.  A mentor
who is at the event and enthusiastic about teaching people how to replicate
bugs is going to do a much better job of teaching the topic than a mentor
who just gets randomly and unexpectedly asked about it.  Are there local
folks - students, staff, faculty, local professionals/hobbyists - who are
interested in being part of this ongoing outreach/education effort?  If so,
we should pull them into the organizing now.  OpenHatch is going to start
running live trainings for our curriculum via a combination of IRC and
hangouts, and we'd love to include some folks from your area (including
you, if you would like to participate/think you could benefit from it).  In
the end, past experience/expertise matters very little.  What's important
is an enthusiasm for open source and an interest in teaching others -
that's innate to people, we can teach the rest.  :)

Wow, that got long.  I may re-post it to OSCTC-planning.  :)

This time the event will be different in that no one will be required to
> attend. I predict that this will lead more attendees to be interested in
> making a clear open source contribution before leaving the event.
>
> Perhaps an even better answer to your question is the results of this poll
> I just sent out:
> https://docs.google.com/a/csumb.edu/forms/d/1tdkKBuNJ2Imv6PZ6DViYGkjIJFw7TiHrPWDFxAnO_lM/viewanalytics
> This was sent to 28 older students to get a better idea of what they are
> interested in.

Just requested access - looking forward to reading it.

> As far as logistics, I think the biggest thing is recruiting mentors. Any
> thoughts on what the makeup of mentors will be for this event (more or less
> OpenHatch people)?

Asheesh will be coming down.  We will likely get one or two additional
people coming with him, same as last time.  There's a big event planned at
Berkeley the next day so we might get a little bit of mentor split (people
going to Berkeley who would otherwise have gone to Hartnell).  If you can
give me an "ideal; okay; minimum" set of numbers of mentors, I'm happy to
aim for that while recruiting.