[Campus-hartnell-staff] planning another Open Source Comes to Campus event for the fall

Katie Cunningham kcunningham at csumb.edu
Tue Oct 21 21:50:06 UTC 2014

Sorry about the link, I think it should be visible now. There aren't too
many responses yet, but the ones so far are focused on actually making a
contribution during the session. I would guess that it's our most confident
students who are writing those responses.

https://docs.google.com/a/csumb.edu/forms/d/1tdkKBuNJ2Imv6PZ6DViYGkjIJFw7TiHrPWDFxAnO_lM/viewanalytics#start=publishanalytics

> One option might be to create groups centered around people's interests.
> So for git, folks who are interested in learning about the concepts of
> diffing and patching, and understanding more conceptually how git works,
> could go in one group.  (Asheesh, I think, would love to lead this group.)
>  Another group that wanted hands on experience making a change could go
> with our traditional git activity, led by you or others who feel
> comfortable.
>
> I've been a big advocate of breaking into task or interest focused group
> during the contributions workshop, although apparently I've been doing a
> poor job of advocating for this/explaining my intent because none of the 6
> events that have run since I created the activities have actually used
> them.  But we *do* have a "how to replicate a bug" activity now!  It may
> not be very good, but we have it.

I really like this idea. And I'm happy to have ours be the test run if this
is the first time.

> I think key to all of this is identifying our mentors well ahead of time
> and making sure they're comfortable with what they're teaching.  A mentor
> who is at the event and enthusiastic about teaching people how to replicate
> bugs is going to do a much better job of teaching the topic than a mentor
> who just gets randomly and unexpectedly asked about it.  Are there local
> folks - students, staff, faculty, local professionals/hobbyists - who are
> interested in being part of this ongoing outreach/education effort?  If so,
> we should pull them into the organizing now.

Yes, I need to start hustling on recruiting mentors. I have started
reaching out to local people and I will continue. I have some people in
mind, and I hope to have a few confirmed shortly.

In our program, we are also reaching out to SV/SF tech companies in an
effort to have them partner with us. The idea is that if companies really
want to move the needle on diversity on their companies, they can't only
recruit from the most elite colleges---they need to look into broad/open
access colleges like Hartnell and CSUMB. It's where the diverse students
overwhelmingly are.

> OpenHatch is going to start running live trainings for our curriculum via
> a combination of IRC and hangouts, and we'd love to include some folks from
> your area (including you, if you would like to participate/think you could
> benefit from it).  In the end, past experience/expertise matters very
> little.  What's important is an enthusiasm for open source and an interest
> in teaching others - that's innate to people, we can teach the rest.  :)

I would be happy to participate! I will also spread the word about the
training to local people as well.

>> As far as logistics, I think the biggest thing is recruiting mentors. Any
>> thoughts on what the makeup of mentors will be for this event (more or less
>> OpenHatch people)?
>>

> Asheesh will be coming down.  We will likely get one or two additional
> people coming with him, same as last time.  There's a big event planned at
> Berkeley the next day so we might get a little bit of mentor split (people
> going to Berkeley who would otherwise have gone to Hartnell).  If you can
> give me an "ideal; okay; minimum" set of numbers of mentors, I'm happy to
> aim for that while recruiting.

Awesome! Looking forward to having Asheesh & co. again. It's not strawberry
season but I'll see if I can find some other local produce...

I think we'll have approximately the same number of attendees as last time
(~35-40), so I'd like to have about the same number of mentors. We had
Asheesh + Noodles + 3 of my friends + me, and it worked well.

Would you like me to keep track of progress on a Trello board? My goals for
this week are: confirm room, create webpage, get 2 yeses from my friends or
local people as mentors, and start recruiting students to attend.

Best,
Katie