[Campus-davis-staff] touching base on a few different things

Shauna Gordon-McKeon shaunagm at gmail.com
Tue May 6 16:47:36 UTC 2014

> Outreach:
> We created a like page recently https://www.facebook.com/davisopenhatchand got 100+ likes!
>
> In terms of event turnout, we have 38 who click "going on the event page"
> but only 30 registered so far. This week, the CS club is doing classroom
> presentations so probably the attendance will increase then. Our event was
> also sent out in our newsletter as well.

Looks like there are now 62 sign ups -- awesome!  In previous emails you
said the room booked can hold 40+ people.  If it's closer to 40, then we
might want to cap sign ups soon.  That being said, usually there's
something like 50% attendance of initial sign ups.

> I am putting Betty in charge of sending out confirmation emails for the
> event and reminding the students.

Is Betty on this list?  Can she let us know what # of students have
confirmed?

> Volunteers:
>
> Recently the linux users of Davis group reached out to me and want to
> corporate and will provide some mentors. We def might need more though!

Have you gotten the names and contact info of those linux user group
mentors?  If we can get them on the list today, then tomorrow I can send
out an email with materials that mentors should read so they have a sense
of what to expect on Saturday.

Our curriculum is flexible - we've run events with a 10:1 student:mentor
ratio fairly flawlessly - but of course the more mentors we can get the
better.  We have two people coming up from SF - Britta and Asheesh - and
one person who has signed up from UC Davis.  Ideally we'll get 3-5 more
mentors from somewhere, but we'll be okay either way.  :)

> I will be okay being a mentor but I don't know any of the skills listed :(

That's all right!  :)  You can focus on learning the skills, not on
teaching them, while still being a mentor - the key is to be proactive at
helping/leading the other attendees.  Asking them how they're doing, if
they need help, etc.  (If they need help with something you can't help
with, you can role model how to get that help - by asking another mentor,
asking on IRC, looking online, etc).  Being a social presence that makes
attendees feel welcome and empowers them to participate and ask for help is
honestly just as important as being able to answer a specific question
about git off the top of your head.

> So far we only have the budget for food but nothing else. We have a small
> budget for other things but very small

That's all right, food is the biggest expense so I'm glad you've got that
covered.  For the rest, we'll figure something else out.  We may be able to
get a company to sponsor travel costs, etc, in which case we may want to
throw a logo up on the website and/or mention the company at the beginning
of the event.

(Speaking of the website, did you ever hear back from the designer about
giving the site an open license?)