[Campus-cornell-staff] running an Open Source Comes to Campus event at Cornell

Shauna Gordon-McKeon shaunagm at gmail.com
Thu Jan 30 16:56:37 UTC 2014

How'd your meeting go?

I'm happy to try another google hangout next week.  In the meantime, one of
the next steps we can take is getting publicity ready.  We usually try to
do a publicity push around 2 weeks before the event, so it would be great
to start that on Monday.

Our steps for publicity are:
1) build a publicity website <http://arizona.openhatch.org/> with a google
sign up form embedded in it
2) adapt our template
emails<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1LkPuDJ69enEAlVLOhKU-JoR64w4s3Ht58_R9ri2c2u0/edit>for
your event and send them out, keeping track of them in the publicity
spreadsheet<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AoHP1ey91UqPdEpDaXpBZUw5dnNnYll1UDctbE1HdHc&usp=drive_web#gid=0>
3) if you want to do a round of STEM-themed outreach, we have template
emails for various
disciplines<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1F52rn2aoR3r8LXL1s4e4bwImjX1YBOUR0FOM3hTprkI/edit>
.
4) adapt flyers from previous
events<https://github.com/openhatch/open-source-comes-to-campus/tree/master/publicity/flyers/publicity_flyer_templates>and
put them around campus.

re: 1) Publicity website - how comfortable are you with git/github?
 Typically we ask organizers to fork this
repository<https://github.com/openhatch/oh-campus-foss>and customize
it to their event.  We'll set up the domain name and hosting.
 If you're not familiar with git/github, it's a great time to check
out the Practicing
Git activity<https://openhatch.org/wiki/Open_Source_Comes_to_Campus/Practicing_Git>,
which is one of the activities at the event.  Let me know if you have any
questions.  You should feel free to alter the site in any way (I like to
change the background colors, etc to match the school colors).

re: 2) Emails - You know better than us the best groups/programs/people on
campus to advertise to are.  We do recommend the CS department as well as
other STEM departments (see step 3), student computer clubs, and any
demographic-in-CS or demographic-in-STEM groups that exist.  There are
frequently individual professors in CS who can be asked to mention the
events to their students.

3) and 4) are entirely optional - up to you whether you want to do them.

best
Shauna