[Campus-cornell-staff] running an Open Source Comes to Campus event at Cornell

Shauna Gordon-McKeon shaunagm at gmail.com
Fri Jan 31 18:12:11 UTC 2014

> Vesha agreed to take charge of getting the website up and going for the
> event.  We'll use this to attract volunteers (and $ donations) from local
> companies that Travis is going to put us in touch with.  We're reserving a
> room in the chemical engineering building through the diversity office as
> backup, but our SWE members have offered to try to book a room for us in
> the fancy new computer science building.

Sounds great.  You should be able to put Vesha on the mailing list, no?
 Did you guys want to use our publicity website
template<https://openhatch.org/wiki/Open_Source_Comes_to_Campus/Logistics#How_do_you_publicize.3F>?

> The students are expressing an interest in framing the event as a skill
> building, career development event, while my local software developer
> friend is jazzed about connecting with Cornell students for internships and
> hiring. Sounds like it'll be a win-win-win!

If you're interested, we can do a remote career panel (via google hangouts)
with people affiliated/organizing open source internship programs.  Should
be able to get people from OPW, GSoC, the Center for Open Science,
Wikimedia, maybe Mozilla.

> One last thing, you mention doing a publicity push starting Monday? Just
> wanted to check that we had our dates correct- we're planning for March 15.

You're totally right.  Typing/thinking too quickly.  A save-the-date email
sometime in the next few weeks might be effective, though.

best
Shauna